Monday, December 10, 2012

part 2: gift guide for crocheters

THE GIFT GUIDE FOR CROCHETERS

Crochet pattern from Etsy, $3.00
I'll be honest--I know much less about crochet than I do about knitting. There are plenty of crochet techniques, such as filet or Tunisian, that I've never even done before. And in all honesty, switch a hook for the knitting needles and my knitting gift guide might end up working pretty well. However, there are tons of fun little crochet doodads that are pretty exclusive to the craft. Such as...


Gifts less than $10

The patterns. 

Bronte waistcoat pattern, £1.50 for pdf, £2.00 for original
Now, don't get me wrong. Vintage .pdf knitting patterns abound on Etsy, eBay, and other independent sites. But they just don't have the same fun kitschiness that vintage crochet patterns have.The abundance of granny squares, bright colors, and smiling faces make me want to time travel right back to the late sixties and seventies. Most .pdf patterns on Etsy and eBay retail for less than five dollars, and from what I can tell, paper patterns run the same amount. You might even get lucky at a local thrift store.

Most of these are .pdfs, but a few of them are actual copies.
Afghan, $3.00

5 Skinny Ties, $3.20
Empire waist dress, $3.00

An entire MAGAZINE dedicated to granny squares for $5.00!

I'd frame them if I could. In fact, that would make a great gift for lonely crochet patterns. If you buy a pdf pattern, you might be able to print the cover image on nice photo paper to frame as a gift later.

Hooks

Unlike knitting needles where you have two--or sometimes more!--crochet is a single-hook endeavor. And there are a LOT of cool crochet hooks out there, if I say so myself.

These GLOW IN THE DARK. Widget Crochet Lite Crochet Hooks, $5.99
Crochet, like knitting needles, offers an astounding array of tool sizes depending on the yarn or thread used. The smaller hooks are steel, the larger hooks can be aluminum, plastic, bamboo, or any other material.

Addi Swing crochet hooks, $14.99

Herrschner's steel crochet hooks, $7.99/set of fourteen
(You can also use polymer clay to add ergonomic handles to steel crochet hooks.)

Gifts for ~$50+

Yarn Kits

Knit Picks Palette Candy Gift Box, $35.99
There are lots of pretty yarn kits, but I think these boxed collections from Knit Picks are lovely and so full of color! You can also make your own "gift box" of an assortment of less-expensive yarns in your giftee's favorite color and fiber.

In addition to these gifts, a lot of the gift ideas on my knitting gift guide would work just as well...just make sure to use hooks instead of needles!

No comments:

Post a Comment